MKE With Kids is proud to partner with Art of Joy to help spread the word about their family-friendly offerings.
Looking for a unique and joyful experience for your family in the Milwaukee area?
Look no further than Art of Joy, a vibrant social house and mercantile located in the heart of Cedarburg’s historic district.
Located in the historic John Roth House, built in 1870 with iconic cream city bricks, the building was purchased by Art of Joy’s owners in 2021. They’ve lovingly restored it while preserving its charm.
With upscale cocktails, a full zero-proof menu, cheerful and unexpected decor, and a fun kiddo menu, Art of Joy is a place where both adults and kids can relax and have a good time.
(They’ve already made quite a splash in the community, having been named Best of the Burg winner in 2022 for Best Bloody Mary.)
According to the owners, Art of Joy’s intention is to create a truly gorgeous space, and propagate love, compassion, authenticity, connection and grace into the community and the world.
The best part? Children are treated like full humans and involved in the space’s activities.
Art of Joy’s indoor space includes a full-service bar and seating area on the first floor, surrounded by a thoughtfully curated mercantile.
(It’s stocked with over 100 books that the owners have read and recommend for building a joyous, purposeful life.)
The environment is bright, inviting, and a little off the wall, adorned with hand-painted murals by a local Madison artist.
Ordering food and drinks is easy, and their employees – who they call “Joy Ambassadors” – are friendly and helpful.
Upstairs is a lounge and listening room where live music is played daily when the weather doesn’t allow for outdoor performances.
Families with kids are made to feel right at home in the space.
There’s a funky little play area where kids can hang out and just be kids, complete with movies they can watch with silent disco headphones.
Pro Tip: You do not want to miss the restrooms, which are literal art installations.
Art of Joy’s outdoor space is just as inviting, with a large outdoor area overlooking Cedar Creek.
There are multiple seating areas with a quaint city view, an outdoor pavilion, outdoor bar, fire pits, and yard games.
Families with strollers have a separate gate entrance outdoors, making it easy to come and go as needed.
(If you’re there on a nice day, the bubble machine will probably be on.)
Art of Joy offers complimentary reservations for the outdoor Joy Pavilion which holds approximately 30-40 people.
Kids & Families
For families with kids, Art of Joy offers an indoor movie and play area upstairs with wireless headphones.
The kiddo menu includes over-the-top kids drinks, such as The Sharkbite, a special lemonade drink filled with huge shark gummies, and Pink Clouds & Fairy Dust with spectacular hand-made cotton candy and edible gold glitter.
To make your life easier, there are also $1 kids snacks on the menu like cheese sticks, goldfish, and animal crackers.
The Joy Ambassadors engage with kids to make sure they’re having a great time. Cranky toddler? Don’t be surprised if a Joy Ambassador offers stickers, coloring sheets, and crayons.
The owners also host monthly adult and kids events, which are both open to the public and ticketed.
Tips for Visiting
Here are some extra tips for visiting with kids:
- Stroller parking: Park stroller outside in the backyard through the side gate.
- Bring the baby! There are changing tables in all three restrooms.
- If you’re not up for an elaborate kids drink, there is also fresh juice, juice boxes, and bottled water available.
Here are some fun events coming up at Art of Joy in May 2023 and beyond:
- Kiddo School’s Out Party: Friday, May 12th, 2pm-4pm. Includes crafts and a movie.
- Mother’s Day Celebration: Sunday, May 14th at Art of Joy. Complimentary drink for all women who love kids, and live jazz performance by Myles Hayes.
- School’s Out for Summer Party: Friday, June 9th, 4pm-7pm. Includes bubbles, specialty kiddo drinks, crafts, balloon artists, live music, and a make-your-own pizza station hosted in partnership with More Happy Kitchens.
- Wednesday Night Pizza & A Movie: Outdoor movie in the yard with pop-up pizza station for kids. Every Wednesday night throughout the summer (weather dependent).
- Party in the Park at Strawberry Fest: June 24th-25th in Cedar Creek Park. Includes bouncy house, petting zoo, outdoor play area, kids activities, food trucks, an Art of Joy Pop-up Truck and live music presented by Art of Joy.
- Art on the Avenue: Also at Strawberry Fest, located in Historic Cedarburg on June 24th-25th. Includes unique shopping, children’s activities, demonstrations, contests, festival food, and live music. Art of Joy will feature Strawberry Sangria & Bellinis and Glitter Dusted Cotton Candy.
- Strawberry Fest @ Art of Joy: A creekside respite from the crowds at Strawberry Fest, featuring a renovated 1970s camper named “The Joyride” and serving drinks.
Art of Joy is a unique and joyful experience for families looking for a space where they can spend time together, relax, and have a good time.
The owners have created a welcoming and inclusive environment, and their intention to propagate joy into the community and the world shines through in every aspect of the business.
Whether you’re looking to sip a delicious cocktail, listen to live music, or let your kids play and have fun, Art of Joy is a must-visit destination in historic Cedarburg.
For more information, visit myartofjoy.com.